10 users responded in this post

Subscribe to this post comment rss or trackback url
User Gravatar
Julia said in January 24th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Welcome back! So many changes going on–but all awesome! And your new position sounds great. Thanks for reminding all of us the importance both of networking and of grabbing opportunities–you’re only a student once (and briefly!) so jumping at every chance you can is a great way to get experience and try new things! I’m excited to read more posts about your awesome career!

User Gravatar
Melody said in January 24th, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Sounds fantastic! I think the magic of networking happens when you *connect* with people. That may seem like a given, but one can hand out lots of business cards and follow away on Twitter, but all that pales in comparison to saying the right thing at the right time to the right person. That’s a lot harder to plan–ya just feel it when it clicks–and you never know who you’re going to meet at a conference. Glad things worked out for you!

User Gravatar
Lauren said in January 24th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Thank you for the support! I, for one, am excited to read more posts about your PhD program acceptances and book deals!

User Gravatar
Lauren said in January 24th, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks, Melody, and I could not agree more! I have done the whole “awkward conversation, here’s my business card” thing, but making real, tangible connections is pretty much the best thing ever. And there’s nothing wrong with handing out business cards, but when you find opportunities like presenting/volunteering at conferences, or having excellent back and forth conversations on Twitter with your librarian heroes/heroines, networking feels so much more natural. Maybe someone should write a “baby steps to networking” post, because it’s definitely not easy!

User Gravatar

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Julia Skinner, Kiyomi Deards and Lauren Dodd, Micah Vandegrift. Micah Vandegrift said: @laurendodd – glad to hear youre doing well! Everyone read this quick post about conferences for LIS students http://j.mp/ePTEjc [...]

User Gravatar
Ge Ge said in February 2nd, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hello Lauren,

I am VERY excited to hear about your new adventures in libraryland. I too have extended my MLIS student venture only because I took your advice from your blog posts and applied for opportunities when I saw them. I agree with you that networking and volunteering are by far one of the nicest ways to find opportunities. I also would add…becoming mobile helps too.

G

User Gravatar
Lauren said in February 3rd, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, Ge Ge! Best of luck with the remainder of your program and the job hunt! It sounds like you’ve got your ducks in a row. :)

User Gravatar
Lisa said in February 14th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hey Lauren:

I am so glad to hear you’re doing well and liking the new job. This is a great post. Practical experience and interpersonal connections are really important. I look forward to hearing more about your progress!

-Lisa

User Gravatar
Lauren said in February 14th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Thank you, Lisa! You’ve been a huge help in my librarian journey, and I appreciate it so much. I’m learning from the best!

User Gravatar
untitled841 said in February 20th, 2011 at 2:05 am

Lauren,

I just stumbled across your blog and I LOVE IT! I really like the look and design you have here, very impressive.
Also congratulations on you success and thanks for posting about networking. I was just discussing this with co-worker, you made some valid points I will have to share with him.

untitled841